Thursday, December 10, 2009

How good is UCLA's journalism and drama department?

I want to double major in journalism and acting. For acting I want to focus on tv/film acting than theater. For journalism I would like to work in the music industry or just as a cultural/critic journalist. I would love to work for The Rolling Stone Magazine or The L.A./NY Times. NYU is my first choice, but NYC is not known for tv/film. I cannot sing and I am not intrested in broadway. I have been acting since I was 6, and my dream is to be on a successful tv show. I have done theater, and simply like tv/film better. I have been in more than 25 plays. The only plus of NYC for acting would be working as a print model. Would UCLA meet my standards? Or is NYU just for me. Is there any other school in California or NYC that would be for me. NYU is my dream school, but I just feel like I won't do anything in tv/film. Journalism is more like my back up plan, but I still love it! Any feedback is welcome! I am just 14, and I cannot move to L.A. any time soon. Thanks!



How good is UCLA's journalism and drama department?imax theatre



UCLA does NOT offer journalism as a major.



No one starts off at the LA Times or at Rolling Stone, but I guarantee that an editor at a small paper will hire you before they hire someone from a lesser known school with a journalism department just because you went to UCLA. I had one editor tell me that he would get UCLA graduates applying all of the time. He stated that when he asked them what newspapers have the worked for, they all answer with The Daily Bruin. He would repeat the question and they would just keep answering it with The Daily Bruin.



So apparently the you went to UCLA and working at the school paper should be enough to get you a top job at a mid to large size newspaper right after graduation gets instilled into students there.



I honestly would think twice about majoring in print journalism right now. The market is very tough right now and papers keep downsizing. Just take a look at the link bellow about the Long Beach Press Telegram, which is in Los Angeles County.



And UC Berkeley does NOT offer an undergraduate major in journalism. Berkeley only offers a graduate program in journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fish