Saturday, December 5, 2009

Any tips for studying acting?

I'm 13 years old, and my biggest passion is acting. I understand I鈥檓 young and everyone says their sure this will change. But for now, it鈥檚 what it is. So please take this as seriously as I am.



In a few months I鈥檓 applying for a Jr. Apprenticeship to help be a stage hand at a local theater. I'd love to have this opportunity because it's such a great learning experience.



It sounds pretty tough to get into but I think I could have a fair chance at it.



Even still when applications and interviews roll around in a few months, I want to make sure I鈥檓 ready, and I feel prepared.



So if anyone had any suggestions on how I could study up on acting, stage theater anything - please I'm open to your suggestions.



Anything like -



Voice, Shakespeare, movement, Improvisation, vocabulary, tips, personal stories, anything.



Thank you so much for taking your time to read this and helping me reach my dream.



Any tips for studying acting?palace theatre



You have to want it more than anything in the world. I know, YOU DO, but you have no idea. It is a very tough, unforgiving, UNglamorous BUSINESS. It can also bring you intense joy, growth and satisfaction. I believe in studying, any way you can and with all kinds of teachers and coaches. Eventually you might find someone with whom you really click. You only learn acting by Doing it. Never turn down a job (re the great Zoe Caldwell). They all teach you something. Most everyone anymore has studied voice, singing, dancing, movement, etc., etc., etc. There are any number of books that are valuable: a couple by Uta Hagen, Sanford Meisner, Stella Adler, Michael Chekhov, Viola Spolin, Simon Callow, Michael Redgrave, John Gielgud. One of the best (my opinion) is The Actor and The Text by Cicely Berry. I once had a coach who said that reading Charles Dickens teaches you everything you need to know about 'character'. The books by Stanislavsky of course. If you live where you can see really good actors in action, by all means save your money and go. Audition for everything. It will teach you how. Be ready for constant rejection. Remember: if you persevere, everyone else will either get married or die. Perfect your diction. Learn to project by 'hitting the back wall'. Study the great actors on film who have theatre backgrounds, like Streep, Glenn Close, Cate Blanchett. Learn how to analyse a script. Teach yourself to be a constant observer. And if it works, if it's good, never be afraid to steal. Wish you the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fish