Saturday, December 5, 2009

Any help for studying acting?

I'm 13 years old, and my biggest passion is acting. I understand I鈥檓 young and everyone says their sure this will change. But for now, it鈥檚 what it is. So please take this as seriously as I am.



In a few months I鈥檓 applying for a Jr. Apprenticeship to help be a stage hand at a local theater. I'd love to have this opportunity because it's such a great learning experience.



It sounds pretty tough to get into but I think I could have a fair chance at it.



Even still when applications and interviews roll around in a few months, I want to make sure I鈥檓 ready, and I feel prepared.



So if anyone had any suggestions on how I could study up on acting, stage theater anything - please I'm open to your suggestions.



Anything like -



Voice, Shakespeare, movement, Improvisation, vocabulary, tips, personal stories, books websites podcasts, really anything.



Thank you so much for taking your time to read this and helping me reach my dream.



Any help for studying acting?paramount theater



That's a very broad question, but here's my contribution: http://www.actingcareerstartup.com/teen_...



Start with that page and go from there. I think you'll get a lot out of it.



Tony



Any help for studying acting?theatre opera theater



It sounds like you really know what you want to do! I've always thought the best way to learn is to get right in there and be apart of everything that goes onstage and backstage. Listen to what the director says, trust me, you will learn things! That stage job sounds like a great start!
The only way to practice acting is to act. But if you want to do some reading on various topics, here are a few places to start:



general: A Practical Handbook for the Actor (forgot who wrote it, but it's from the Atlantic Theatre Company)



Respect for Acting, by Uta Hagen



voice: Freeing the Natural Voice, by Kristin Linklater



Voice and the Actor, by Cicily Berry



improv: Truth in Comedy by Del Close, and Improvisation for the Theatre, by Viola Spolin
Go to the library and see if you can find books on Stage Craft.



As a stage hand you'll be moving things around and putting out props and stuff.
Dont read any of McMurphy's suggestions, the Atlantic Acting School is a fraud. Read two books: Rehearsal by Miriam Franklin and Acting Without Agony by Don Richardson. forget the rest for a long time.



These books will be cheap on bookfinder.com, get the first edition of Richardson if you can and get a third, fourth or fifth edition of Franklin. Get used, paperback copies. Why waste your time and money??
For Acting, I would recommend



http://www.hollywoodnorth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fish